|Massaman Curry Paste|
- 7 - 10 chilies, dried
- 1 tablespoon kha
- 2 tablespoons caraway, powdered OR 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste or kapi
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Brown garlic and red onions in a pan. Set aside.
- Remove seeds from chilies, drain, and chop finely.
- Cook chilies with the kha, powdered caraway or coriander seeds, lemongrass, cinnamon, and cloves over a low heat until browned.
- Pound in a mortar and pestle until you get the desired consistency.
- Add salt, the browned garlic and onion mixture, and kapi.
- Heat the pan with 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the paste for 3 minutes.
- Add 5 cardamom seeds and 5 bay leaves.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Paste can be stored in jars and used as needed.
|A mortar and pestle for making curry paste.|