This recipe calls for 2 pounds of chicken, either in quarters or in smaller pieces (tikkas).
- 2 cups yogurt, plain
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch square fresh ginger
- 2/3 teaspoon red chile powder OR paprika
- 14 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/ teaspoons lime juice
Ingredients: Makhani Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi ( dried fenugreek leaves)
- 3 ounces chilled butter
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- a few drops of vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 ounces light cream
|Garam Masala is a blend of black & white peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, black & white cumin seeds, and black, brown, and green cardamom pods.|
- Place the yogurt in a piece of cheesecloth and hang to allow the whey to drip through.
- Puree the garlic and ginger in a blender.
- Add marinade spices, salt, and lime juice to the yogurt and blend well
- Scald the tomatoes for the sauce and peel off the skin. Reduce tomatoes to a semi-pulp with a fork or potato masher.
- Put the kasuri methi into a grinder and reduce to powder form.
- Make gashes in the chicken.
- Marinate the chicken in the yogurt mixture for 1 - 2 hours. For best results, marinate chicken overnight.
- When ready to cook, put 4 -5 tablespoons of oil in a large, thick-bottomed skillet.
- Cook chicken with the marinade over low heat until done. Turn chicken over during cooking.
- Put tomato pulp into a skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add chilled butter and paprika. Let it cook for 1 minute.
- Add kasuri methi, garam masala powder, and salt to taste.
- Add cream and stir.
- Put sauce in the same pan as the chicken and mix well.
- Serve over a bed of Basmati rice.
** Do not cook butter for too long or it will turn to ghee, which has a grainy texture.