|White Chicken Korma with Basmati rice.|
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 5 ounces yogurt, plain
- 1/3 cup ghee OR clarified butter
- 2 ounces almonds, blanched
- 2 ounces cashews, unsalted
- 1 cinnamon stick OR bay leaf
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 whole green chile
- 1 clove
- 2 1/4 pounds chicken breasts, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mace powder
- Soak poppy seeds in 1/2 cup water for 1 hour. Drain the water and grind to a fine paste.
- Hang the yogurt in cheesecloth for 1 hour to drain the whey. Put yogurt in a bowl and whisk.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of ghee and heat the remainder in a pot.
- Add almonds, cashews, and the cinnamon stick or bay leaf and stir-fry for 8 minutes over medium heat.
- Add onions and stir-fry for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Add green chiles, cardamoms, and poppy seeds and stir-fry for 4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and take out the cinnamon stick or bay leaf.
- Blend mixture and puree until smooth.
- Add 1 tables of ghee (set aside earlier) to the pot, along with the garlic, ginger, whole green chile, and clove. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add chicken pieces.
- Add yogurt and stir continuously to prevent curdling.
- Add nutmeg and mace.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of hot water and cook over low heat until chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve over a bed of rice.
|Cardamom pods and ground cardamom are used in many Indian dishes.|