Thai red curry is one of the more popular types in the country. It is typically used to make Chicken Red Curry, but other meats can easily be substituted.
- 7 - 10 big chilies, dried
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass, chopped (can substitute lemon peel)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste or kapi
|Kha, or Galangal, part of the ginger root family, is a common ingredient in Thai food.|
- In a frying pan, brown caraway and coriander seeds over low heat without oil. Let cool.
- Place the seeds into a mortar and pound with a pestle until finely ground. Set aside.
- Remove the seeds from the chilies and soak the pods in cold water. Add the chilies to the mortar and pound them into the mixture of caraway and coriander seeds.
- Add salt. Pound.
- Add remaining ingredients. Pound.
- The paste can be stored in a glass jar and used as needed.
|A mortar and pestle is used to make the red curry paste.|
Once the paste is finely ground it is ready to be used to make Thai Red Curry and other scrumptious dishes.