|Cloves and Cinnamon are used to sweeten the curry paste.|
- 7 chilies, dried
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Stir-fry coriander seeds and caraway seeds on low heat, without oil.
- When brown, remove seeds and cool.
- Pound seeds with a mortar and pestle, and set aside.
- Remove seeds from chilies and soak the pods in cold water. Drain, then pound.
- Add all other ingredients and pound until finely ground.
- Mix in coriander and caraway seeds.
- The paste can be stored in a jar and used as needed.
Curry paste makes up the base of all Thai curries. When cooked into different curies, a variety of meats and vegetables can be used.